Your dog or cat is considered a “senior citizen” at age 7! Mayfair Animal Hospital recommends yearly blood work and a urinalysis on all senior patients. This helps to detect problems not evident on physical exams, and also provides a baseline for what is normal for your pet as he or she ages. If detected early, 75% of common diseases in dogs and 63% of common diseases in cats can be prevented by dietary modification.
Mayfair Animal Hospital is offering a 10% discount on senior screening during the month of April. Please call us to schedule an appointment (919) 590-0099.
Regular preventative care is even more important for senior dogs and cats to help prevent or delay the onset of diseases that older pets are more susceptible to including kidney disease, heart disease, liver disease, cancer, organ failure, osteoarthritis, hormone disorders to name a few.
What is Included in Senior Wellness Screens
At Mayfair Animal Hospital, our specialized senior care screenings will help us determine the health of your pet and check for potential underlying conditions. For dogs and cats seven years and older, we recommend:
- A Physical Exam – an important part of the senior care program. Our veterinarians will perform a comprehensive physical exam to check for any abnormalities.
- Blood Chemistry Testing – measures the levels of various substances in the blood, and aids in diagnosing common diseases such as diabetes, liver, and kidney disease.
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) – provides a detailed look at the different blood cells, and helps us diagnose anemia, infection, or dehydration.
- Thyroid Screen (T4) – helps our veterinarians diagnose thyroid disease which is a common ailment in older dogs and cats.
- Urinalysis – gives us detailed information about kidney function, aids in the diagnosis of diabetes, checks for urinary tract infections, and can alert us about any abnormalities that could lead to kidney or bladder stones.
We are here to help you in providing your pet with the best and most comprehensive senior veterinary care so that he or she has the healthiest and happiest quality of life throughout their golden years. Please give us a call today to schedule a senior wellness screening for your senior dog or cat.